Sunday, February 2, 2014

Bundaberg


It's 2:30am on Monday the 3rd of Feb. I'm awake to catch a bus from Bundaberg to Brisbane that comes at 3:30, and have been killing time for the past approximately 9 hours. It's been pretty awful actually. Bundaberg was an important stop for me on my travels because of the Bundaberg Distillery, which I went to for about 2 hours max. Since then I've been waiting in a hostel.

I figured something out by being here though: I mentioned in my last blog post that Cairns felt like a tropical Rochester, MN. I realized why that is, because both are wealthy small cities. Bundaberg is a bit more run down. That's not to say that it's poor or anything, just older and a lot less modern. Also, incredibly boring. It should go without saying that I miss Melbourne, but in an odd twist of fate I'm even starting to miss Cairns. I was there long enough to develop a familiarity with it, and that pervasive charm that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it was the simplicity yet expansive list of things its surrounded by? Honestly, I think it was the people. The hostel I was at had some people that I connected with, and I just miss genuine human interaction.

I'm not 100% what Brisbane has to offer, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment