Friday, March 1, 2013

The Hostel

Feb 24th, 9:45pm local time. (look, I know this is being posted not at that time. Internet is shoddy in this country, I'll write more in depth about it later, but it means right now is that I can't always post when I write)
I figure I should put that it's local time since, my concept of time is completely warped. I saw somebody post about an upcoming event that was later in the night, only it was a day earlier. It was a surreal experience. Right now, what that means is that in CST, it's 4:45am, but hey at least it's the same day.

Perhaps somewhat related to my last comment, I feel a bit isolated here. So far since coming here, I've met only one person from the US. This hostel is enormous, and full of people from every corner of the world, except for the US turns out. As I write, there's a woman sitting relatively close by Skyping in French. Whether she's from France or Quebec I'll never know. People are quite cold hear. It's a far cry from the hostel I stayed in in Los Angeles. Duo Housing was small, intimate, and friendly. Discovery Melbourne is massive, distant, and, again, cold. Even the staff here is pretty get you in/get you out.
Before I get any further, I want to mention that it's the hostel itself that the people are cold. Aussie's have been very friendly, if somewhat difficult to understand at times (I'm also having a tough time distinguishing English and Australian accents. I'm not hearing them together; if I'm out and about, obviously everybody is Australian, but the hostel is chock full of Brits, and other Europeans whose English sounds British).

Reading back, this post seems really cynical. It's really not as bad as I'm making it out to be. I just feel like a huge stranger here.
But there's a bar in the basement, so it's not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment