Monday, March 4, 2013

Making Friends and Such

Tuesday Mar/5/13, 2:35am
Ok, so things have gotten better for me since that last sad post. I've been meeting more people here, both at the hostel and at comedy shows. I know I mentioned earlier that there are very few Americans here, but it colors all of my interactions in this country, so I want to talk about it further.

In the hostel, there are a lot of Europeans, mostly Germans and Brits, but make no mistake there are people from all corners of Europe. I took two semesters of German in college, but it hasn't been particularly necessary, since all the Germans here speak pretty decent German. If I were better at it I might be able to hear if they're talking shit or something. Interestingly, I actually have used Spanish recently. A pair of Italians were put in my room who, combined, know about 7 words in English. I used to think that Spanish and Italian were mutually intelligible. Turns out, it's a bit different... I will say that I found out in Italian, calling a girl a pig is calling her a slut. The two guys are very friendly. I mentioned I worked in politics back home and one mentioned that Burlesconi is banging a friend of his.
I befriended a pair of Danes, and have decided I should learn Danish, because like my concern for the Germans, these guys talk shit in Danish since there are only about 5 million people in the world who speak it. A good example of when it would have been helpful was when my Danish friend (Jacob) and I went to a Mongolian restaurant (I have a food post that I'm working on, hold your horses) that was really expensive. If I'd spoken Danish, I could have openly said so, but alas I don't (yet). They're both physics engineers in grad school. I've noticed there are a few groups of friends in the hostel here, and I've kind of fallen in with one. It's weird. I never expected to be in a situation like this. It feels a bit like high-school. I still feel a bit like a loner though, I'm actually quite ok it. I'm booked for a comedy show tomorrow night, so it'll be nice to have a group of friends who are still willing to come out and see me.

I intended to talk about the comedy here, but I'm tired. I still have a lot to say about a lot of topics so I'll write tomorrow during the day, but for now, I want this to be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment