Sunday, February 10, 2013

Prologue Part 5: San Francisco Tourist Destinations

Saturday 2/10/13

I want to start off by talking about a few things I missed last post: there are a lot of funny road signs (including "speed hump", "trucks not advised", etc); wild parrots in addition to pigeons. SF reminds me of a like a really nice shanty-town. Not like the quality of the buildings (because they're super nice), but like how everything is arranged. It's odd, and very hilly/mountainy.

I've been in San Francisco for about 5 days now. I like it, but I'm not sure how much I'd like living here. It seems like there's always something going on. I'm sure it's more relaxing once you live here.

I figure I'll go  sequentially through the past few days:
On Thursday I went to an open mic. The place was called "Brainwash", and it was a bar/restaurant/laundromat. Quite the different experience. I got to the place about an hour before the sign-up started and there was already a decent sized line, which was the approximate order for the show. Also, women went to the front of the line to get more women in the show, and kept bumping bigger name people in front too. The long story of it is that I waited about 5ish hours to get 3 minutes of stage time. Hooray...
Will and his friend Julie (I think? I've met a lot of people) came out to see the show, and we ended up getting drinks at a nearby bar. They were both quite amused that I called it a cowboy bar since nobody there was a cowboy (but still, it was a fucking cowboy bar). I had a weird, but humorous situation there: after telling me that she wanted to spend the rest of her 25th birthday night with me, the stripper daughter of the President of the American Bar Association (who, btw, also told me that despite her lack of a law degree, she is a really great lawyer) told me I'm what's wrong with "fat America" because I didn't agree that Family Guy should be taken off the air for their offensive Downs Syndrome jokes. Ah, cowboy bars.

I spent Friday in the suburbs near Will's work. I saw Palo Alto. It was a nice little town. Will's actual school was in a different town nearby. It felt a lot like Prior Lake; sort of rural-ish with tons of new buildings going up. I finally saw the German bakery Will adores. I got coffee and pretzel early during the day, then after will was done with work we had some beers and a pretzel there. And later, they just gave me a free pretzel. If you'd have asked me how many pretzels I was gonna eat on this trip, I bet I would have said one maybe, during the entire year.
We went to to Cobb's Comedy Club that night. I really wanted to see the Coco show during Sketchfest. The show was alright, but jesus fucking christ was it pricey. $25 per ticket plus a two drink minimum? Good christ, I was completely blown away. Rory Scovel was great though, as expected. We then went to a Taqueria. Pretty good tacos, but most surprising was the fact that I saw a friend from Minneapolis. That was a nice, unexpected surprise.

I spent the day yesterday doing all the touristy stuff. Will and I went to Fisherman's Wharf, and then crossed the Golden Gate Bridge. It was nice, but again, a bit touristy.

This post is already too long, so I'm gonna stop writing...

Tl;dr version: SF has been pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment